126

Staring vacantly at the clouds on the in-flight television's live video feed from underneath the jet it suddenly strikes me as entirely appropriate to photograph the screen while dangling from the ceiling like a bat. From this new vantage point hanging with my feet wedged into the overhead luggage compartment I can see that the clouds actually appear quite similar to what they look like when you stare up at them from the ground, which makes me consider, if only briefly, that the jet is in fact below the clouds and is flying upside down. As we prepare for landing the camera view switches from looking down towards the creeping earth to looking forwards from the front of the cockpit. We land, taxi up to the jet bridge and slowly begin to stop. As has happened to me once before, we come to a complete halt with the camera pointing directly at a dumpster full of garbage. None of my previous actions, or even the overflowing dumpster disturbs the Japan Airlines stewardess sitting next to me who is now meticulously folding her blanket, after painstakingly consuming a package of pretzels, after napping with her hands carefully folded in her lap. If a jet flight is a series of precise actions carefully executed in a technologically advanced container, then this flight has ended accurately on a three cubic yard assortment of unorganized refuse and goo.