87

The woman across from me on the Yamanote line took out her notebook and pen and started writing at the same time that I did. Her pen was also blue. I reflect on this. I wonder if she will put her notebook away at the same time I close my notebook? She didn’t. She put her notebook away before me, but it looks like she is thinking about taking it out again. I remain on the train three extra stops to see if this will happen. It doesn't. I get off the train at Ebisu station and as the train doors close, as the Hatsumelo theme from The Third Man plays, I cover my eyes tightly with both my hands and wish for her to take out her notebook again and write notes. The train pulls away and I sense a notebook emerging from the darkness of a bag and the possibility of a pen pressing into soft paper, leaving a line, as well as an indentation.